7 of The Latest Eco Friendly Computers
If you are into sustainable living and eco friendly products, you might be interested to learn about the latest computers that all have many elements of sustainability, meaning their carbon footprints have been reduced. If you use a computer a lot you may work in web design or a related area but these days almost everyone uses a computer of some kind, be it ever so small.
- If you work as web designer or SEO and you’re on your computer all day, you might prefer a desk top PC. You’re in luck because DELL offers the LOOP desktop PC. All the parts are recyclable and rented out. They are updated weekly so you’ll hardly ever have to buy new parts. It can be assembled in 30 seconds or less because it is screw-less.
- So how does a computer made of paper sound? It may not seem like the strongest thing around, but have you ever tried tearing a thick sheet of cardboard? Hard, isn’t it? This little laptop is made from stacked sheets of paper. If anything breaks, you can simply replace it by more of the same and send the broken part back to be recycled. No waste means green.
- Another laptop is solar powered, with its own solar panel that folds out to power the device. This is ideal for those on the go who tend to sit in the park or drink coffee on the sidewalk while they are using their laptop. This will be a big savings in power use, with the solar panel being able to charge the computer whether it is opened or closed.
- Another laptop is made from starch-based polymers so the frame can be recycled as well as all the inner components. It can also shine a laser on the wall to project a screen, so you don’t really need a screen or a keyboard.
- How about a computer that doesn’t look like it is. The actual client module sit on top of the docking unit. You plug it into the remote EVA server, so your computer only requires minimal processing power, RAM and memory and you don’t need to carry around a large device. Again, the module is recyclable and will be replaced by the company.
- Said to be the greenest computer on the block, the Iggulu modular PC concept has almost every part of it recyclable – and this is easily done by the client because each module is colour-coded and can be ordered from the computer with an online account especially for the purpose.
- The Life Book Leap Laptop incorporated an OLED touchscreen that folds out as needed. The exterior is optically sensitive and made of polycarbonate that is shatter-proof.
You may have to wait a while until these are made commercially, but they appear to be worth the wait if they save on power consumption and reduce waste with their recyclable parts.