To understand whether Colorbond roofing is sustainable, you need to understand something of the steel making process. Traditionally speaking, steel making seems to have a poor reputation when it comes to sustainability, yet this is now undeserved. Steel is made from iron which occurs naturally in the earth. However, it is the process of converting it to steel that some people consider to be less than sustainable. But are they right? Consider these points.
The waste from making steel is mostly slag, a rock-like substance. Where many years ago this was just discarded, today it is all recycled and sold to construction companies that use it to make concrete. So, no waste.
Steel and water usage
Making steel takes a great deal of water to cool, de-scale and clean the steel, so this could be why many people feel that steel is not an environmentally friendly product. But these days, even though the water is polluted with various elements, most of this can be removed so that the water can be recycled and reused. In fact, 98% of the water used is able to be used again. The other 2% is lost through evaporation during cooling.Read More